- Comparative analysis of planning laws and policies
- Property rights, planning instruments, taxation, and institutional configuration
- Affordable housing and rent control
- Politics, laws, and finance in local government
- Preservation of built heritage
- Planning theory – ethics, institutions and decision processes
Recent Research Grants
Gazit-Globe Real Estate Foundation. Granted for research on the allocation of public services in high-rises. Co-investigator with: Dr. Eyal Salinger.
Lincoln Institute of Land Policy (US). Granted for research on implementing value capture in Israel. Co-investigator with Dr. Eyal Salinger.
ISF (Israel Science Foundation). Granted for research on public amenities in private properties: “Vertical Allocations as a value capture instrument: Evaluating policies to integrate public floorspace in privately-owned development.” Principle Investigator: Nir Mualam.
MOST (Israeli Ministry of Science and the Austrian Science Fund). Granted for the study of “Conflicts and Challenges of World Heritage Protection (CCaHP): A Cross-National Interdisciplinary Analysis of Austria and Israel”. Principle Investigator: Nir Mualam (Israeli Team), with co-investigators (in Austria).
Heth Center for the Study of Regulation and Competition (College of Management, Israel). Granted for a study on “Municipal Autonomy: Inquiry into Changes in City-State Relationships in Israel”. Principal investigators: Nir Mualam & Nir Barak.